TV Packs only

Why is eztv less supportive of 720p?

Username:

Password:

Login Register
[ Forum » General » Thread ]

Please login to reply
[#141928] Written by: hplp20 [22/09/2010, 09:18]
a lot of the shows posted here or at tpb don\'t have 720p versions even though they have been
released elsewhere. only sd xvid shows are posted. 720p versions of only a few shows are posted.
[#141995] Written by: bla$ter [23/09/2010, 00:30]
i noticed that too.
i feel it's really a waste to watch sd releases on modern tvs.
please consider hosting more shows in 720p as well.
[#142116] Written by: bla$ter [24/09/2010, 00:06]
Quote by dmfaust
though having said that, i really don't see any lack of posting hd releases. virtually
every major show has its 720p available here.

that very much depends on your opinion of a major show.
shows like two and a half men, how i met your mother or castle have outstanding ratings close to 12
million viewers per episode, yet there is no 720p release to be found here.
on the other hand shows like weeds and entourage get released in 720p regularly.

the simple fact of the matter is that sd is still more popular than hd--
just look at the peers on any torrent and sd usually beats hd by a huge margin.[...]this site in particular is
very much an international one, and many places have download limits that make hd impossible.

so swarm size does not really equal swarm quality, does it?
even if fewer people share huger files with a substantially higher bandwidth, this will still result in healthier
swarms.
[#142213] Written by: Enon` [24/09/2010, 18:57]
umm, bandwidth caps?

as long as it's in 16:9 i'm happy (i'm happier when eztv actually *posts* shows it tracks and
lists *cough*americanchopper*cough*lasttwoweeks*cough*.....).

i'm not wasting bandwidth when i can see the picture perfectly fine in "sd". and no, i don't
watch it on a 19 inch computer screen i actually watch most shows on a 42inch 1080p hooked up
to my htpc.

[#142219] Written by: sCifI3001 [24/09/2010, 19:57]
Quote by enon`
umm, bandwidth caps?

what part of that do you not understand?

what they refer to is many, if not most countries isp's supply limited speeds and limited up/down mb
allowances

eg: i pay $au160/m for a 8/.038 connection with an allowance of 40g peak(10am-2am) 80g off peak
(2am-10am), some isp's also count upload mb into the monthly allowance, excess is charged @ $2.5 per gb

so yeah, some people actually have to watch what they download
[#142237] Written by: newnick [24/09/2010, 22:34]
hmmm, how did someone manage to start a new thread? (and not an admin?)
[#142238] Written by: sCifI3001 [24/09/2010, 22:44]
Quote by newnick
hmmm, how did someone manage to start a new thread? (and not an admin?)

it's happened 2-3 times since the new site went up, 'ghosts in the machines'
[#142292] Written by: bla$ter [25/09/2010, 07:29]
Quote by scifi3001

what they refer to is many, if not most countries isp's supply limited speeds and limited up/down mb
allowances [...]
so yeah, some people actually have to watch what they download

nobody denies that, but it is also a fact that a swarm where a small number of peers have higher
bandwidth (i have 50/25 mbits) can provide a swarm that is easily as healthy as a swarm of a lot of limited
bandwidth peers. as a matter of fact, i would even say those swarms are less dependent on "official"
seeders from eztv.
so all i am asking for is that eztv considers to provide service for hd content that is as reliable as their sd
content, in regard of the torrents, not in regard of the peers. hd content from scene groups is shared good
enough even in hd, so i really don't see a good reason why there has to be a sd before hd rule when it
comes to just tracking releases.

[#142298] Written by: sCifI3001 [25/09/2010, 08:14]
Quote by bla$ter
, so i really don't see a good reason why there has to be a sd before hd rule when it
comes to just tracking releases.

there is no such rule
[#142300] Written by: bla$ter [25/09/2010, 08:20]
Quote by scifi3001
there is no such rule

then this lack of support for hd torrents makes even less sense to me...

[#143099] Written by: NovaKing (Administrator) [02/10/2010, 17:48]
there are a number of reasons why we don't do 720p for every show.

1) we have volunteer seeders that push out a lot of data everyday to give everyone the shows they
want. now, add an additional 20 shows, all in 720p, and woah, that is a lot of hdd space and
bandwidth that needs to be pushed/stored, sometimes it is purely unfeasible to be able to provide it.

2) does the show warrant 720p? - we determine if a show has any benefits from going to 720p, if we
feel the person will gain nothing of significance (of noticable significance that will improve the
show watching quality ten-fold), then we will not make our volunteers waste useful resources in
providing it.

3) does a 720p release of it even exist? - sometimes some shows don't even get released in 720p
limiting us from giving it out to everyone.

now, if you feel that we should do more 720p anyways, the best way to help us achieve that is by
helping us get more volunteer seeders! if we can have a large stable volunteer userbase, then we
will have more resources to be able to push out more shows to you all!
[#143131] Written by: bla$ter [03/10/2010, 04:32]
Quote by dmfaust
i think what you are seeing are vtv distributed shows not having 720ps, not eztv.
which as for why
they don't you'd have to take it up with them(but would probably be fairly equivalent to what was talked
about previously regarding priority to sd over hd).

wrong, all the shows i mentioned are available in 720p, that's why i posted them, and that is why i
believe this is a valid complaint.

Quote by novaking

1) we have volunteer seeders that push out a lot of data everyday to give everyone the shows they
want. now, add an additional 20 shows, all in 720p, and woah, that is a lot of hdd space and
bandwidth that needs to be pushed/stored, sometimes it is purely unfeasible to be able to provide it.

this is of course a valid reason but as i already mentioned, most scene releases of popular shows
already have a healthy swarm, so they don't really gain that much from eztv seeding them officially.
the question remains, why not just `link` those shows in 720p without officially supporting/seeding
them?
i can't see much harm in that and it would greatly improve the user base and user friendlyness.

Quote by novaking

now, if you feel that we should do more 720p anyways, the best way to help us achieve that is by
helping us get more volunteer seeders! if we can have a large stable volunteer userbase, then we
will have more resources to be able to push out more shows to you all!

i tried that actually, but the most common answer i get is that people interested in high quality material
are usually not very fond of eztv and they tend to go around you guys and rather get involved with
private trackers. this is one of the reasons this thread exists. user interested and able to spread high
quality content do not likely participate in projects that does not or poorly support the stuff they are
interested in. you can basically reduce it to the chicken and egg problem, but just waiting for volunteers
won't solve the dilemma.
[#143145] Written by: UltraMAgnus0001 [03/10/2010, 09:21]
is there a way to vote which show we would like in hd? it would be a great way for the community to
to help you to help us.
[#143147] Written by: bla$ter [03/10/2010, 09:35]
Quote by dmfaust
errr, what? both shows you mentioned are (at least partially) vtv tagged. how is there
even something for me to be wrong about when i say they'd have to tell you their reasons? did you
quote the wrong thing?

you are right to the point that those shows are vtv and there are no vtv 720p releases, but there are
720p releases of other well known groups like dimension or immerse, so it is wrong that no 720p
releases exist and it is also wrong that i have to take it up with vtv to get those shows up on eztv.

Quote by dmfaust

what i'm getting from this is that you are wanting 720p without having to maintain a ratio on a private
tracker(which availability of things such as hd releases is what they are for)

wrong again. my share ratio is actually quite decent.
also, i fail to see the point. as far as i know, eztv has no tracker on their own, the only seed.
that is also why i don't care very much about eztv as a seeding group, but about eztv as a central
hub for tv releases, news, information and discussion, or, as in other words, not a torrent release
service but a central web news and information and notification service about when new releases are
available without any involvement into seeding. that is what i would like eztv to become and that is
why i would like to see more 720p releases on etzv.

Quote by dmfaust

sitcoms being a great example, does it really matter if
charlie sheen's head is a little blurry while he delivers a mediocre punchline?

yes, it does matter, because 720p does not only mean a higher screen resolution but also better sound
(5.1 ac3 beats a crappy mp3 stereo in any show), nicely tagged files due to more powerfull container
formats, etc.

now see, this just about sums it up. to most people it isn't a dilemma at all. as in there's nothing to be
solved. but even if it was a major issue to everyone, what exactly are you expecting them to do?

i already made a proposition (twice actually), but for some reason, nobody wants to get in to that topic
it seams...
the essence is: you do not need a lot of volunteers to reseed a file if that file has already has a healthy
swarm. as a matter of fact, you generate a lot of effort for little to no effect.
[#143167] Written by: sCifI3001 [03/10/2010, 17:45]
Quote by bla$ter

you are right to the point that those shows are vtv and there are no vtv 720p releases, but there are
720p releases of other well known groups like dimension or immerse, so it is wrong that no 720p
releases exist and it is also wrong that i have to take it up with vtv to get those shows up on eztv.

vtv is not a scene group, they are a .torrent distribution group that works hand in hand with eztv
to share the load
ssl  EZTV RSS EZTV Status | EZTV API | DMCA: [email protected]