Your chance to get involved!

Username:

Password:

Login Register
[ Forum » Admin's Corner » Thread ]

Please login to reply
[#150069] Written by: NovaKing (Administrator) [08/01/2011, 07:38]
long time no talk!

yeah, so it may have seemed like we were mia for some time, and that is because we were!

we hope everyone has been enjoying this holiday period. but now it's back to work!

so i have started work on the eztv codebase, getting ready to implement a whole bunch of new
features we hope you will all love, and i thought it was about time to come up with a new visual
style to the website... now this is where it becomes interesting, i'm terrible at graphics/design so i
think this could be the best time to see what you loyal fans might be able to do in regards to
taking this site to the next level of tv content!

if you think you have a good idea, we would love to see it!

we have only a couple of requirements we wish for you to abide too.

1) simplistic - we have always tried to aim for simple straight to the point feel to the site, and
we would like to keep that feel if possible.

2) we want to also try and support devices like mobiles, google tv, ipads, etc. so try and keep that
in mind.

3) probably something else we should mention, but at present, can not think of it.

please send your submissions to me via pm, we just need a simple "screen shot" of some of the main
pages of our site.. say, for example: home page, episode page, forum, tv news. once we get enough
submissions, we will post of the ones we feel are the best ones, and allow you all to vote on which
one should be used.

if you have any questions, just post it here.
[#150106] Written by: dobes2009 [09/01/2011, 07:30]
...."about time to come up with a new visual style to the website..."
is it, or is change as good as a holiday?

don't under estimate what you already have is clean, fast, browser friendly and less is always
best .... remember how google took over because it was clean (next to no graphics).

perhaps a fresh new logo with release of new features and depending on what they are, the
addition of one more colour to highlight/separate.

however, there can't be any doubt that eztv's popularity is strongly attributed to the current
clean approach - whitespace creates readability - keep the kiss approach.
[#150113] Written by: MrTorrent [09/01/2011, 09:18]
any news on the eztv api for third party developers (for android and iphone apps) ?
[#150122] Written by: Boggibill [09/01/2011, 12:45]
if it was up to me. i would have kept the design. the design is good and does what it needs to do..

we all tend to get tired of the same design, but that does not mean it is a bad design.

anyway, i guess it is better to focus on new functionality in this site. like comparing shows up
against each other, and see what show a user might be interested in compared to the ones they are
watching now. for example

or maybe expanding it to contain more information about each show. im not sure what though...

best regards
boggibill
[#150123] Written by: MacPhreak [09/01/2011, 12:45]
i agree with dobes2009. it is very easy and functional. added features maybe but don't touch the
format. its great.

logo could use a change maybe... but it also works.
[#150126] Written by: NovaKing (Administrator) [09/01/2011, 14:04]
thanks for the feedback.

as i mentioned, i like the simple look to the site, and would like to keep that. it is why one of my
requirements is that the design stay simple

@mrtorrent:

eztv api is being worked on.
[#150129] Written by: MrTorrent [09/01/2011, 15:37]
Quote by novaking

that is great news.

i do have one more question. i'm not gonna ask about the exact release date, but i wonder if you
have decided on the api release, relative to the release of the new website.
will the api be released before, after, or in the same time as the new site ?

thanks, and keep up the good work.

[#150130] Written by: WBro [09/01/2011, 15:40]
@mrtorrent

sometime to consider (if you haven't already) is that apple are likely to reject any application
that links to torrents. but ultimately, this depends on what an app would offer to users.

@novaking pity you guys aren't looking for coders as i'm with you; can't design for love nor money
but love to code.
[#150133] Written by: NovaKing (Administrator) [09/01/2011, 15:56]
Quote by mrtorrent
Quote by novaking

that is great news.

i do have one more question. i'm not gonna ask about the exact release date, but i wonder if you
have decided on the api release, relative to the release of the new website.
will the api be released before, after, or in the same time as the new site ?

thanks, and keep up the good work.

aiming for same time, but no promises, this is why i don't like announcing things i'm working on, i
hate missing dead lines. and as this is a hobby for me, i can only work on it when i get spare time.
[#150134] Written by: MrTorrent [09/01/2011, 15:57]
Quote by wbro
@mrtorrent

sometime to consider (if you haven't already) is that apple are likely to reject any application
that links to torrents. but ultimately, this depends on what an app would offer to users.

well, i'm an android developer, so i'm not affected by apple's policies, and i did get my app
published, not on the android market, but on getjar.com, and after i pleaded my case to them that
similar apps do exist on the android market, they finally approved it, originaly having said that
they "generaly don't approve torrent style apps".
[#150135] Written by: NovaKing (Administrator) [09/01/2011, 15:58]
Quote by wbro
@mrtorrent

@novaking pity you guys aren't looking for coders as i'm with you; can't design for love nor money
but love to code.

new version of code will allow me to get other coders involved, current codebase is exceptionally
spaghetti-like (but better than the version before that ) new version is all mvc/templating which
will allow me to assign tasks a whole lot easier.
[#150139] Written by: WBro [09/01/2011, 16:44]
Quote by novaking
Quote by wbro
@mrtorrent

but love to code.

new version of code will allow me to get other coders involved, current codebase is exceptionally
spaghetti-like (but better than the version before that ) new version is all mvc/templating which
will allow me to assign tasks a whole lot easier.

i shall keep my eyes peeled for when the time comes that you can get others onto the project. mvc is
the way to go as i've previously worked on some stupid systems that were a headache to maintain, let
alone improve. are you using a completely bespoke system or have you built upon an existing
framework (code igniter/symfony..etc)?
[#150141] Written by: NovaKing (Administrator) [09/01/2011, 16:58]
i don't require most features on existing frameworks.

i've built a simplistic version tailored for how this site operates. and the template system is even
easier as there is nothing too technical in regards to how templates are done.
[#150144] Written by: Lenugo [09/01/2011, 17:50]
i developed an app for the iphone that works in conjunction with torrents. got it approved and slipped by
the folks at apple. i developed it so i can utilize eztv on the go! even used eztv in the screenshots. they
obviously don't pay that much attention to what they are looking at during the approval process.

you just have to market it differently it is definitely possible.

look for rss fuse if you are interested.
[#150145] Written by: skaarofman [09/01/2011, 18:06]
i was wondering if you will have a way that we could add shows that you don't carry or follow?
or provide links to missing episodes of the ones you do?
just a thought.
for instance the cape debuts tonight but it is not listed in you're playing tonight section.. things
of this nature.
ssl  EZTV RSS EZTV Status | EZTV API | DMCA: [email protected]